Sunday, November 22, 2009

#2 Has the church become too important?


One thing from Juliet Kilpin:
She was bold - "Sell your church building."

Her point is that we get too caught up in thinking that "church" only happens in the building and what happens in the building has to be restricted to certain activities. She points out that if we are limited by the building then that will hinder God's mission for the church(the body of Christ).
It was talked about that real church is in the community of believers sent to do God's mission, alerting people to the reign of God. Church can happen anywhere, on a school ground, a youth center, my home or yours, the restaurant for lunch, seniors center, the bar, the park, any place that God's people live and speak out God's mission and this can happen in multiple ways that reach the heart of a target group of people.
It seems so often that we Christians enjoy the safety and security of our building and don't get out in the trenches of life with people enough.
Did she really mean it(sell your church)? I think she did. I know it's not right for all but what is right is to rethink our church building use and how active we are outside it's four walls.

Do you think Juliet is crazy?

5 comments:

Peter said...

Not only do I think Juliet is NOT crazy I think she is hitting the heart of some of the core problems that exist in the North America (well western world) Organized Church.

I am CONVINCED that one of the churches core problems is that it owns stuff. Owning stuff drives behaviour.

First you need to pay for it . Outrageous sums are spent on our buildings. Where is our mission for the disadvantaged that Jesus calls us to. They don't show up in our buildings IMO.

Secondly buildings require enormous volunteer energy to keep alive. This is just so against the Jesus model IMO. The church exists to serve people NOT buildings.

I truly believe that the organized church has lost track of its true mission. I believe that the evil one has invaded our mindset and completely thrown us off course. He has "blessed" us into thinking we need to own stuff and thus be distracted from our true mission which IMO is two fold:

- share the good news that our souls can be transformed
- share the good news that our physical circumstances can be transformed by having the church help

PS.

You think perhaps I have strong, passionate feelings about this?!

Indeed.

Sister C said...

You are passionate about it...awesome words Peter. I totally agree with you.
Going to a conference like this and being immersed into reviving God's mission for the church has been eye opening, it feels strange to come back to the people who where not there and did not get the eyeopener as I did, the stark contrast is evident in the conversations and atmosphere the average church goer beholds. The trick is Peter what do you do with the information? What do I do with it?

Nikki said...

I totally agree with you! On the whole idea about christians being to caught up in the fact that a church only happens in a church building...Personally I find my church outside of the church buildiong...again thanks for the post and thoughts

Peter said...

Ah yes, the what to do with it question. Well, I'll tell you what I have/am doing with it.

I (and Carol) spent 8 years of my (our) life trying to change an organized church group into becoming a different kind of place. Wildly successful (I'm kidding) so I (we) stopped. I no longer think the organized church is capable of changing from within - sad statement I know, but that is my current thinking.

So I participate from the outside. I have gotten involved in ministering (i.e. preaching) to recovering drug addiction users at a treatment center in Mission. Now there are a group of people that KNOW they really need Jesus.

I am wrestling with myself (and with God) about what to do about the second part of the mission (having the church help). What can I do. I have some thoughts that I want to translate into action. Ask me again early next year.

Lastly, I should also say that I have bumped across organized churches who own stuff who demonstrate a deep practice of the mission of the church.

Sister C said...

Peter thanks for sharing. That does sound like a place Jesus would be. I see you are passionate for change, I look forward to hearing what is cookin' in your brain oven.