Sunday, April 06, 2014

The Life Manager2000 - a switchboard to balance your life

Sometimes I picture life like a giant switchboard, like the ones they used to have for telephones. The people I spend time with, the interests I have and roles I play each have their own cord plugged into the switchboard, but the switch board doesn't have an infinite number of outlets, it has a set number, so as seasons change, as I say 'yes' to more things and as the roles I play grow or shrink the switchboard operator has to pull the plug on some and plug in multiple cords for others that require more time but when things start to get busy in life the operator doesn't know which pugs to pull in order to plug in the new ones and when the operator doesn't make the choice things get unplugged on default.
What gets pulled when you're busy?
I know for me one of the first things to go is personal hygiene - I shower less :S , I skip flossing and brush for shorter, I let my eyebrows grow wild, ... too much information already so I'll leave that at that. Then goes the laundry, especially folding "where's my black tank top mom." "it's in the clean pile." The next thing to go is sleep, I pull the plug on the 10:30 bed time and any idea of sleeping past 6:30. And the saddest of all when life gets busy I start pulling the plug on time with the kids and Ben and time with God.
I think the switchboard image helps me see the root of the problem. I battle against thinking I am not limited and I can do/be everything I want but I can't, I can't do everything and life is full of choices. I choose what to plug in and what to plug out as the seasons change and as requests for my time come my way. In a way I wish I had a real switchboard to label with all that I am and do, one hole for every hour of the week,  plugs for every thing/person/role I'm invested in and then when I start something new or increase in a present commitment I would physically see what I have to plug out to insert the new. Maybe this could be a new idea for Dragon's Den.... "I'm here today to show you the The Life Manager2000  - a switchboard to balance your life. Are you too busy? need balance? ...." I can just picture it, one more thing to keep me busy.


So ya living in a busy season and taking inventory now.



No comments: