Friday, July 17, 2009

Do I mean it?

"Why do we sing songs we don't mean?" My 10 year old daughter has been listening too closely to the worship songs, .... During worshiping in song I've encouraged her to read the words and sing along and she has done this and become a beauty to watch and join with in worship but now what? She has noticed a problem, a discrepancy. .... we sing "I surrender all" but yet we don't really surrender all. .. give my everything ... with all my heart ...sing of your love forever ... we sing it but do we mean it? She asks because she sees within herself the age old battle between God and self. She is wise beyond her years to proclaim such insight into the human heart. I've often pondered on this myself and maybe you have too. Pondered, reflected, confessed and then asked the one we praise for the power to over come our failures.
Ariel's question should be our question for this week, bring it with you into this weeks worship service.
When you're singing to Jesus this week, ask yourself "Do I mean it?"

2 comments:

Peter said...

You didn't think I wouldn't post something did you :)?

My first question is back to Ariel ... what would her/mine/our life look like if we really meant what we sang/said - what would be different?

The second thing is that God uses worship to speak to my heart - to let me know that .. Peter ... problem here ... and here too ... ouch Lord. I have come to understand that this is a gift I have received and is not all that common among us.

Good on Ariel for asking and even gooder on Ariel's parents for encouraging her to reflect.

Sister C said...

Always appreciate your comments Peter. Not gonna take them for granted:)

I asked Ariel your question, she said "We would just do it." Meaning we would do what we sing and that would be different. Simple right;)

I like how God speaks to you.