Tuesday, June 17, 2008

26.2 Finisher

I don't finish things.
I'll start books, sewing projects, crafts, gardening and yard improvements or learn an instrument(organ, guitar, pan flute and penny whistler, I started them all). I'll start thinking great plans of how to do ministry better, parent better, disciple, save the planet, the list goes on but I often don't finish what I start. When I was a kid I took organ lessons but I never disciplined myself to practice so my organ teacher told my mom if I didn't practice I wasn't allowed to continue with lessons. I dropped out! I am 3 classes short of my bachelors of Christian studies! So many things I have not finished in life, and that is all behind me because I have a fresh start, I have something I have finished, something big.
5 months and approximately 350 miles of training completed, I disciplined myself and worked so hard to get to race day. This past Sunday I joined 13000 other people all in different races, and I was one of the 800(or so) who ran the full marathon. 26.2 miles completed! It felt so amazing to complete such a huge accomplishment. When I ran the 1/2 marathon 2 years ago it was about my marriage. I know that sounds funny but it was a lesson to me that even though it is hard and sometimes you think you can't go any farther, you can and I did and I completed that race(and my marriage is the best on the whole planet). But this race was about being able to accomplish anything. I believe that if i can set my mind and disciple myself to run a full marathon, I can accomplish anything, especially finishing a book:) It's a powerful feeling. If it is worth finishing I want to finish it. It was also about full filling hopes and dreams, you know that list you have, it might only be a mental list but some people write it out. It's a list of things you want to do in your life, well running a full marathon has been on my list for 8 years and it feels so great to have something I hoped for so long ago actually accomplished. One more thing as I crossed the finish line I was donned with a finisher metal and a t-shirt that boldly says 26.2 FINISHER across it. I'm a finisher.
So now I can say...
I finish things.
(now I am off to read the last few chapters of "Everything Must Change" by Brian McClarin which I start in January:)

3 comments:

Ben said...

Cindy you are amazing. I am so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Wow Wow Wow is all I can say. Congratulations Cindy!!! Very impressive.

Anonymous said...

I was going to write what Ben said... You're amazing girl!