Thursday, January 22, 2009

Women's Rights and the Bible


Women and the Bible has always been a touchy subject for some and maybe, being a women, especially one who wants to be able to stand on her own two feet, I've cringed more often than some at the words submission, subjection and silence. The words that undoubtedly comes up when talking about women and the bible. I guess you could say I am one of those that finds it a touchy subject. With a little uncertainty, knowing the many verses often quoted, I set off on the Internet wondering what I would find as I googled "women's rights and the Bible", looking for help to understand this. The big question was - what would I find? ....
I came almost at once to a site that, for me, so nicely explained things. http://www.christianbiblereference.org/faq_womensrights.htm From Eve to the new testament church to today. Here is the conclusion if you don't want to read the whole thing
God created both men and women in His own image and made them equal custodians of all His creation. But, because of their disobedience, God punished Adam and Eve and evicted them from the Garden of Eden. Eve's punishment was to suffer pain in childbirth and be ruled over by her husband. Jesus broke with tradition and treated women in a much more egalitarian way than was normal in the society of that time. The early Christian churches followed Jesus' lead and gave women much higher status and more privileges than was common in the rest of the world. But Paul and other Christian leaders continued to affirm the principle of a husband's family leadership and authority over his wife.

Reading this article made me feel/think several things:
1- I really love Jesus and Jesus loved women -He treated women well in his time
2- Bible time culture matters, we must know it to accurately know the meaning of a passage,
3- Our culture matters because just as Jesus worked at times with and at times against his culture, he'll still do it today, which also means changing things will happen in God's timing.
I suppose the search or study of these things isn't done, it comes to the suface in different ways at different times. But for now I was happy to find this "re"understanding and I wanted to share it with you too.

4 comments:

Jo Funk said...

Ok, so I totally share your sentiment with regards to standing on my own feet and not NEEDING a man to provide for me... altho i found one that does so quite well!

One of the biggest problems I have with a heck of a lot of christians is taking thing out of historical and biblical context. I could bang my head against the wall every day with frustration with this. I'd say the majority of the bible means nothing if you don't understand the context! Take the woman the washed Jesus' feet with perfume. Kay great. We can buy perfume in the dollar store. But what's the significance?! (I won't explain that here cause its not the point)


That's all I'll rant here...

I couldn't agree with you more Cindy! :)

Peter said...

Cindy,

How does "the principle of a husband's family leadership and authority over his wife" work for you and Ben? Carol and I never really figured that out - I always viewed us as a team. My own view of the "ruled over" is indeed because of the fallen nature Women have (and will continue )been dominated by men but that is NOT God's plan.

PS.

I am glad that you bring up topics like this (And the other :). I think engaging in discussion is key to my (our) understanding and learning.

Sister C said...

Ya Peter as you described how it was for you and Carol is how I would describe it for Ben and I. He has such an amazing respect for me, we totally work as a team. I suppose that is why it has been hard to understand the passages ... but yet I know how I appreciate his leadership in the home ... some how it's equal in that... One thing I know and it kinda goes along with what you said about this ruling over being part of the curse; if we pray "thy kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven" we pray that the curse be removed, knowing that it won't fully be removed until heaven but we are asking for kingdom ways on earth, for women not to be suppressed. This was how we were taught by Jesus to pray.. I think that is amazing.

Sister C said...

Jo some time we should bang our heads on the wall together ... but honestly I probably take passages out of context all the time too, so I guess that means I just better study more. Thanks for you comment.