Wednesday, August 04, 2010

The Buddist Temple


On the first day we were in Yangon we took a look around the city and we stopped at this Buddist temple. The Swedagon Pagoda, it is a very famous place in Burma. The pagoda is completely covered in Gold. it is a place of great respect so when i showed up in a sleeveless shirt I was given a shawl to borrow as I walked through the many shrines. Also everyone has to take their shoes off at the entrance.



An interesting thing for a me as I saw buddism in action was how they care for the animals. They have many offering areas in the temple and even along any street in the city where people can offer food to animals and they come to eat. When I saw this offering bowl I thought how even when they don't know it they worship God by feeding his creation, but I wish they knew the one they worship.They also bring flowers to lay before their idolsAs we were leaving the pagoda it was raining really heavy and this little boy was taking a shower. I tried to talk to and befriend his mother who was sitting near by nursing her baby, but she was very shy of me and so were her other children. She appeared to be very poor.

No comments: