Friday, January 15, 2010

In the Name of Creativity

"A recipe is merely words on paper; a guideline, a starting point from which to improvise." I read this on recipe site a while ago and now I can't remember where but I couldn't agree more, this is my view of cooking. It is what my mother instinctively taught me. I do few things exactly as I'm told actually. I like to be creative and try to do almost everything some way that maybe few people have ever done it. Things don't always go well though, for instance I came up with a really bad one the other night in the name of creativity, awful really. I was trying to make my own version of Kari Kari, which is a Filipino dish. I didn't have all the ingredients so as you can guess I either skipped them or added something similar, oh and I didn't follow the cooking instructions at all either. When it was all said and done I had a feeling it wasn't going to go well at the supper table that night. I contemplated not even serving it but I'd invested too much time, pride and ingredients to just toss it, so I looked at it more as a character building experience. My hunch-niggles where right, "what is this?", "It smells weird", "Is this all we're having?", "I'm not hungry." I forced the kids to eat it, I saw Ben grimace as he told me "It's OK....."(do you think he lied?), I Could barely stomach 1/2 my plate. Later that evening Ben said, "Can I just say one thing, can you not make that again." We laughed and I said "I know it smelled like dog food. I will never intentionally make that again."
Oh ya in the name of creativity I have made some pretty awful things, but I've also made some good ones I think.
Ok ok I have one more wipe-out story for you due to my over creativeness. Some of you will have witnessed this unfortunate birth of my imagination. In one of the first years when Ben and I came to this church I was in charge of something creative for the Purpose driven life and I created this huge globe, I think about 5 foot circumference, for the church stage. It was paper mache and tin foil. The skeleton of the globe was something like 6 hula hoops. Plus it had several directional arrows shooting out from its surface. Oh it was ugly, the tin foil kept falling off and I keep sticking it back on with a opened stapler or sticky tack, the arrows kept slinking lower and lower, some eventually pointed down and then fell off. Every Sunday it was up there I was so embarrassed by it but of course I kept those insecurities buried deep below my confident creators mask. I don't remember anyone ever saying anything to me about what they really though about it but I can only imagine how many other people have heard about it. Anyway I am laughing about it now because I feel like I was able to redeem myself with this last project that hangs on the wall. Besides why not laugh about it. If you remember it I am so sorry you had to endure it on stage all those weeks.
The trash heap is bigger because of me ;)

3 comments:

Sharleen said...

Great stories, Cindy. Actually, I don't remember the "globe" project, so either it didn't stick out as something gone wrong to me, or my memory isn't very good (or some of each, maybe???).

Ben said...

It was eatable. And it wasn't the worst thing you have ever made. Remember the peasant bread?
And the world wasn't as bad as you make it out to be.

Sister C said...

LOL That peasant bread was bad.