Monday, January 04, 2010

Mark 14

Thanks to all those that have been following along in Mark, we're almost done. If you haven't been on in a while here is what I'm up to with this Mark thing. Click on these words to find out.

The first story in this chapter I always find so beautiful. I wish I could do that for Jesus. I find his acceptance of extravagance rather interesting because from my upbringing extravagance for Jesus has not been looked upon with kind eyes. Like those present at the pouring out of the perfume,is how I naturally feel like responding, "What?! Don't waste the money, don't spend money on fancy stuff for the church building or worship service, go practical and simple." yet I see Jesus here accepting this extravagant offering as an act of worship. I am now conflicted. I sometimes wish reading the bible made things easier to understand but in this case it makes things complicated, because Jesus lived such a sacrificial life for the poor and sick. What do you think? Should we be extravagant in order to better worship God, even if people look on saying, "Why this waste? It could have been sold and the money given to the poor." Or should we keep a small worship budget and spend more money on the poor?
Maybe the story no longer holds us to do as the woman did because Jesus says "...You will not always have me." Times changed.
Ya ... so the outcome of that was clear as mud. I love the bible, makes me think.

As i was reading the part about the Lord supper preparations I realized something I hadn't really thought of before. Jesus knew what the disciples would encounter(V.16). He did this with the donkey a few days ago too. Now I am a firm believer that Jesus was fully human and he gave up his godness when he came to earth, that would mean whatever he does on earth is possible for us as well with the holy spirit in us. This to me is fascinating that we can know the future if we need to. What do you think of that?

Mark 14:38 "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing but the body is weak." This is a verse that I have memorized and recited many times. It is a powerful verse for me because it helps me keep my freedom. I know it would take a lot more words to really explain this but let me try. When I discovered where I was weak, where I was trapped in sin and then found freedom, I had some safe guards to place in my life and this verse was what led me to understand that it is more than pray, it is keeping watch. Watch for where the weak points were in my armor, where the enemy could try to take me captive again. Watch means to me to toss thoughts, small thoughts out of my mind as soon as they come in.... and of course pray. That is the short version. I love this verse.

I was listening to this chapter through the Bible experience (which is the audio dramatized bible on MP3) it brought tears to my eyes and gave me chills. I am like peter sometimes, I am like Jesus accusers sometimes ....am I like Jesus sometimes? - not in this story.

1 comment:

Sharleen said...

Something that struck me from this chapter was that Jesus stayed silent (v. 61). Don't you think that would have been very hard to do, under the circumstances?