Saturday, March 09, 2013

Cedar Lane Farm


When I got out of my van at the farm Terri didn't ask me if I wanted to meet all the animals on the farm, he assumed that I would. And I did. We walked into the barn and met each cow by name, breed and brief and interesting life story. Each one named after dutch royalty - Leontien(leentje), Beatrix and Wilhelmina(Willy). I met the piglets that were resting in a pile of sacks. I met the heard of black sheep and Prudence the big Berkshire sow. I also met Timmy the near 1000lb Tamworth Boar sitting in his hole which I think he thinks is his throne. I heard about their family and farms journey from New Brunswick to Manitoba last year. I learned about what the animals eat and the importance of how the animals are treated; in life and slaughter. It was evident that a good relationship between human and animal is important at Cedar lane. I loved it. I love the simplicity and organic nature of it. I love how this farm offers a creation friendly approach to gathering food for my family. If my life had gone the way of the farm I can picture it just like Cedar Lane. When I asked if I can bring my kids next time he said "We prefer that." I'll be sure to take them the next time I go shopping on the farm.


No comments: