Friday, March 01, 2013

Keeping a Promise

This is a hard one to publish.
 I new I would tell you this story eventually but I have been delaying because I had to complete the circle of repairing my mistake. I know logically it should feel good to repair, but for this one I feel sadness that I wasn't faithful to my word from the beginning.
 I don't want to over dramatize my sins just to make a good story, so I won't but the truth is, how I tell this story now is exactly how I feel. I feel awful. I feel irresponsible. I feel embarrassed. I feel relieved to be moving on.
One day about a month ago I woke up with a memory of something I had promised to do but didn't do. It was a pressing memory, one that said "Do something about me!" It had been so long since I last thought of it, it surprised me to think of it.  --- Many years ago and I mean many, 6 to be exact, a friend asked me to transfer his brother in-laws funeral from the 8mm tape in the video camera onto VHS.(You see this is a very long time ago, back when VHS still existed)  He had asked me to do it but I never did. It went from I'll do it tomorrow to later to I got lazy, I forgot, I probably had other excuses and then I totally forgot about it. I occasionally remembered but never took the time for it. In the mean time, I found out today, they forgot who had the tape. Yes, I believe I had the only copy of this funeral all these years, sitting in my house collecting dust. Just awful.....but the morning I woke up with this memory I felt the Spirit of God "pressuring" me to start something new. The first part included working to repair this, so I went looking for the tapes I needed, I relearned how to use the transfer equipment(thanks Ben), I found the phone number of the woman I needed to contact, I apologized to her and then I completed the circle by getting the tape to a family member that will bring it to her this weekend. It would have been so good had I been faithful to my promise in the beginning, instead I feel like crap for procrastinating. I could have done so much better- 6 years!!! Good thing God is so gracious and he doesn't condemn me or call me nasty names because that is what I feel like doing to myself right now.
So the second part of what this whole experience is doing in me is teaching me to keep my word. Unfortunately it seems I have a problem of promising and not following through, so I have made a list of all the things I can remember promising that I have not done yet and I am planning on slowly getting through that list and following through on my promises. And not making any new promises that I don't plan on keeping. And now after reading this you may understand better why I did this.

Disclaimer - If I ever promised you something and I didn't deliver, don't get too excited I did say I have to remember it.


No comments: