Monday, February 18, 2013

Asking for Prayer

Why is it so hard to share things about ourselves when it comes to prayer? Even when those we would share our 'small' or large need with are trustworthy and truly interested in us. It seems easy to ask others to pray for the concerns of a friend, a family member, a neighbor, a cat or dog but for ourselves we become shy and remain silent.
I always pray with a group of ladies on Tuesday mornings(when I can get there). They are true and enthusiastic prayer warriors. I am like a student in their midst yet they never ever treat me that way; they treat me as a equal. I really need to brag about them more often. The thing is I just don't say a whole lot about my personal prayer requests there. I don't have huge personal needs to ask for but I am sure I could think of tons of places in my life I need more of God but I hardly say a thing about my requests. I think it's  - too small, not too important and better to listen.
Some people might say, listening to others is better than talking about yourself, ok in some places and times this is the best advice but if we are not going to be real in prayer times with our fellow prayers when will we be? To remain silent about our specific needs for God in prayer smells a little like pride. Maybe we are afraid of what people will think of us when they know our specific needs or we are worried people will try to fix, give advice, comfort or make a big deal out of us, which of course does happen, but we need to get past what other people think or do and just do what we know we need to do. We need to surrender our pride. It is hard to say "Pray that I trust God more because right now I do so much on my own strength." or "I am having a hard time hearing the voice of God. Pray that I will hear him again."
Since I decided to be more vulnerable in all areas of life I thought I would mention my lent to my prayer group and then I asked them to pay for me. Even though we have prayed together for years I still felt awkward saying "Pray that I will lay aside what people may think and be more real in my life."

These are my thoughts; what are your thoughts on the topic?

** Do you like my new background colours? I thought I would change it up to be a little more springy... though no spring here today only a blizzard.


No comments: