Saturday, February 16, 2013

Saturday Thoughts on Lent

Why do lent?
 I recently counted - I’ve been doing lent for 14 years, I may have skipped a year or two in the middle somewhere, can't say for sure. But, wow 14 - makes me feel old... I didn’t grow up “lenting”, I didn't even know what lent was until I was an adult and when I first heard about it I thought it was just for Catholics. I am not sure what got me to start, but must have been some encouragement from a teacher or a friend because we were at Bible school that first year. The first thing I lented was chocolate. I was pregnant with Ariel and it was not easy. I remember being at the prenatal class when someone brought chocolate chip cookies for everyone and I couldn’t have any because of the chocolate, well actually I wanted the cookie so badly I nibbled on the cookie avoiding the chocolate chips and eating the cookie parts, now that is desperate(and talk about taking a loop hole).  I am not exactly sure why I have a solid memory of this, it could be because I was ticked with myself for trying to be so ‘religious’ and there I was 'suffering'  or if I remember it because I formed a solid thought toward God in that moment..... Let's go with the second.
I do lent because it turns my thoughts toward God more often during the day. Lent is a fast and I say why not use a historical fast time such as lent to do what Jesus tells me to do. Sometimes I have reached the end of the 40 days only to find myself saying - "I'm glad that's over." It's not always easy but it's not a waste if in anyway I was turned toward God.
 During this lent season, as I shared on Wednesday, am taking on blogging each day. It seems strange but it is a sacrifice because I was getting so comfortable not being vulnerable and sharing my life and thoughts and challenges and for me it's important to be real and transparent, and my blog is a place for me to do that. Each time I blog I feel I keep the door of my heart open and it seems the mask layers can't build up as fast.
Are you lenting?
Why do you lent?
 

No comments: