Monday, February 25, 2013

Precious Memories of Africa

I was just thinking back on my days in Zambia last November. I was trying to recall some of the most precious moments of those 2 weeks and this is the memory that came back; it happened on the first day we were there. It was a Sunday and that is the day that the kids have Awana club. About 20 minutes before the start time and I met Naomi. She was just wandering around so I asked her what she did at Awana. She told me about the singing, Bible lesson, games and Bible memory. I asked her which verses she needed to memorize.  She couldn't remember but she wanted to know what I was memorizing and she was very interested in my bible. So we sat down on the grass, ants running up and down my legs and all, and we opened my bible together and started looking for verses. I told her I was working on memorizing Isaiah 40:28-31. She wanted to memorize it too so we worked on it together. Then she showed me one of her favorite verses Jeremiah 33:3. This was a moment in time. I remember feeling warm, not just on the outside but on the inside, a precious moment I had waited for for so long. After awhile, Darcy, one of the other team members came by and did an impromptu dramatization of the Isaiah 40 verses. This made Naomi laugh. It had only been 20 minutes but that was enough time for Naomi to work her way into my heart and it was also enough time for her to feel that my Bible was her Bible. She held my Bible with a tight grip and walked off to Awana.

Isaiah 40:28-31
"Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
 but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."

Jeremiah 33:3
" Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Thank you for sharing. The verses in particular were what my heart needed to hear.